ABOUT THE GATE
OUR VALUES & ETHOS
Our CORE VALUES are based upon the 8 Beatitudes Jesus taught in the "Sermon on the Mount" found in Matthew chapter 5. Those Kindgom principles could be summed up this way:
1. LOVE - We are designed for love. God is love, and real love is learning how to love God's way: In community
2. GRACE - We become whole people when we understand grace, because grace frees us to make repentance a lifestyle.
3. HUMILITY - Our purpose is to know God. Being teachable is the core attitude that keeps us life-long learners.
4. WORSHIP - Our desire to follow Jesus comes from living in God’s Presence, and the key to living in God’s presence is worship.
5. FORGIVENESS - Our greatest battle is to stay free of offense; to stay spiritually healthy we need to walk in forgiveness.
6. OBEDIENCE - Applying Scripture is the key to staying motivated to follow Jesus.
7. RELATIONSHIP - The way we preserve our community life is by 1) being together, 2) using our gifts to serve, 3) maintaining the community by tithing
8. FAITH - Using the authority we have in Christ to touch others with God’s love is the key to daily fulfillment
We are passionate about:
Worship and Prayer
Passionate worship and a lifestyle of prayer are important priorities when it comes attracting the presence of God. Scripture states that the Father actively seeks two kinds of people: worshipers (Jn. 4:23) and intercessors (Ezek. 22:30).
A passion for Christ should translate into a passion to be like Christ. Our ministries seek to emphasize the priority of helping all who walk with us become like Jesus.
A Theology of Grace
An understanding of grace awakens us to our security in Christ, empowers us by his Spirit, and shapes our church structures. Where grace has shaped a church, reconciliation is easily achieved, and openness and forgiveness are experienced.
The Pursuit of the Holy Spirit’s Gifts
We desire to flow in the gifts of the Spirit in a way that is non-manipulative, is anchored to The Scriptures, and engenders a respect and honor for all the gifts within the body.
Communicating the Good News (Sharing Jesus)
While we value each person discovering their own unique gifts and calling from God, we seek first to instill that every believer’s primary call and ministry is to follow the example of Jesus by sharing the Good News and helping others find freedom in a relationship with God.
Teamwork in Leadership
A teamwork approach to leadership creates an environment in which everyone’s gifts and styles are honored, and people can feel genuine safety.
A Commitment to the Next Generation
The generational gap is one of the most harmful for it goes all the way back to our first parents’ rebellion against the Heavenly Father. Therefore, building bridges between parents and kids (Malachi 4:6), tending to our children and envisioning our youth are some of our top priorities.
The Pursuit of Unity in the City and Beyond
For theGATE, seeking unity means partnering with other churches and ministries to impact our city, building bridges between different church groups, and working towards reconciliation between races, generations, and men and women.
An ‘Apostolic’ Approach to Ministry
To think "apostolically" is to help all believers obey the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). A local church should not only be a nurturing environment, but also be a mobilizer of mission by sending people to distribute food to the poor, equipping people to minister like Jesus in the "marketplace", or releasing them around the world to plant churches. A church committed to thinking this way will approach ministry holistically, both by impacting the arenas of our culture – business, government, the arts, education, the media – and by seeing all vocations as ministries.
Celebrating God’s Covenantal Promises
Believing that God is a maker and keeper of covenants, we seek to bless the nation of Israel, realizing that God is making Jew and Gentile "one new man in Christ". In valuing God’s covenants, we expect to touch all the nations of the world, knowing that God is no respecter of persons.